Category Archives: Development

WordPress Visitor Counter

A few years ago I became interested in electronic projects. I initially started tinkering with an original Raspberry Pi that purchased when they were first introduced and later moved to micro-controllers like the Arduino and Particle Photon (previously known as Core). My first projects were a set of Raspberry Pi thermostats and a Raspberry Pi deadbolt lock. Both of which could be remotely controlled.

After creating this blog I wanted a fun way to monitor visitors while at work. I wound up throwing together a Particle Photon I had lying around with a 7-segment display and some PHP to create this desk counter. It uses a PHP page that returns the count using a MySQL query. The PHP page is retrieved via the Photon and displayed to on the LED counter. Anything with blinky lights makes for a fun desk toy!

You can get more details (along with the code) on the project on my Hackster page here: https://www.hackster.io/mark-depalma/wordpress-visitor-counter-db3cf8

Apktool – build error – brut.common.BrutException: could not exec (exit code = 1)

I have an ongoing Android app ‘modification’ project that I periodically need to perform updates on. I recently went to disassemble, re-modify, and reassemble the new version of the APK and was presented with this error:

AndroidManifest.xml:1: error: No resource identifier found for attribute 'compileSdkVersion' in package 'android'
AndroidManifest.xml:1: error: No resource identifier found for attribute 'compileSdkVersionCodename' in package 'android'
W:
Exception in thread "main" brut.androlib.AndrolibException: brut.androlib.AndrolibException: brut.common.BrutException: could not exec (exit code = 1): […APK path information…]
at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResourcesFull(Androlib.java:492)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResources(Androlib.java:426)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:305)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:270)
at brut.apktool.Main.cmdBuild(Main.java:227)
at brut.apktool.Main.main(Main.java:75)

I updated apktool/JDK and made sure everything else with my setup was correct. After a little digging I found that I just needed to run a cleanup to resolve the issue. After running ‘apktool empty-framework-dir‘ I was able to successfully reassemble the APK.